Double the beef, double the flavor!
Makes: 4 to 6 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 60 Minutes
- 1 pound Star Ranch Angus® ground beef (95% lean)
- 7 to 8 oz beef chorizo
- 1 ½ cups chopped white onions
- 2 to 4 medium serrano peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- 2 tablespoons masa harina or cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican or regular oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (15 to 16 oz each) garbanzo beans or pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Hot cooked rice (optional)
Toppings: Sliced radishes, crumbled queso fresco, dairy sour cream, sliced green onions, Creamy Avocado Dressing (recipe follows) (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef, chorizo, onions and peppers; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into ¾-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings. Return beef to skillet.
- Add chili powder, masa harina, oregano and salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beans and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice with toppings, if desired.
Creamy Avocado Dressing: Cut 1 medium ripe avocado into chunks. Place avocado, ¾ cup water, ¼ cup fresh lime juice, 1 peeled garlic clove and ½ teaspoon salt in blender container. Cover; process until smooth. (May be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Recipe and photo courtesy of Beef Checkoff.
Ground Beef TIP
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.