Roast your way to comfort food perfection!
Makes: 4-6 Servings
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Cook Time: More than 60 Minutes
- 1 Star Ranch Angus® chuck roast 3 to 5 lb, tied if desired
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 to 6 carrots peeled and cut in half
- 2 yellow onions cut into wedges
- 12 to 15 small new potatoes
- 4 golden beets peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dredge roast in flour; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Brown the roast on all sides for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove roast to a plate. Pour all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté until onions are soft.
- Then add the carrots, potatoes, beets, thyme and bay leaf.
- Pour in the beef broth and wine and bring to a boil.
- Return the roast to the pan and cover. Reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours turning roast every 30 to 40 minutes.
Place roast (directly from refrigerator), fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan (the exception is a rib roast; the ribs form a natural rack).