Citrus and Chile Beef Tacos
Take taco night to the next level with sweet and spicy, savory goodness.
Makes: 12 Tacos Servings
Prep Time: 10-12 Minutes
Cook Time: More than 60 Minutes
- 1 to 2 lb Star Ranch Angus® chuck roast, center-cut
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 to 3 oz can chipotle peppers, puréed
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 tablespoons honey
- One large onion, sliced
- 1 package 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare the meat for the slow cooker: Season chuck roast with salt. Heat canola oil in a large sauté pan and sear meat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove meat to a slow cooker. Add water to deglaze pan and pour it over the meat.
- Prepare the seasoning for the slow cooker: Prepare the oranges by grating the orange zest, avoiding the white pith. Mix the grated orange zest with the chipotle pepper purée, honey, and granulated garlic. Spread over the meat in the slow cooker. Add the sliced onion and cover the pot. Cook on high setting for about 4 ½ hours, or on low setting for 7 to 8 hours. Remove meat to a large pan, and pull with a fork into large chunks.
- Skim fat off top of juices that remain in the pot and pour over pulled beef.
- Assemble tacos: Serve pulled meat with tortillas, sour cream and fresh cilantro leaves.
Slow Cooking TIP
Place chopped vegetables on bottom of 4 ½ to 5 ½-quart slow cooker. Vegetables are placed on the bottom and sides, closer to the heat source, because they tend to cook more slowly than meat in the slow cooker.