Just when you thought steak couldn’t get any better, we added bacon.
Makes: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: Up to 30 Minutes
- 4 16 oz Star Ranch Angus® NY strip steaks
- 5 strips of thick sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- One large sweet onion, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- Malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh tomato, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large sauté pan: cook bacon over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add chopped onion and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crispy and onions have begun to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add in the malt vinegar to deglaze the pan, stirring the juicy brown bits up from the bottom. Add the sugar and the tomatoes and reduce the heat to low. Cook for another 4 minutes. Remove half of the mixture to a blender and purée on the highest speed until very smooth.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until desired temperature.
- To serve, top the steaks with a dollop of the puréed mixture and a spoonful of the chunky bacon onion tomato mixture.
Prepare grill (charcoal or gas) according to manufacturer's directions for medium heat. To check temperature on a charcoal grill, cautiously hold the palm of your hand above the coals at cooking height. Count the number of seconds you can hold your hand in that position before the heat forces you to pull it away, approximately 4 seconds for medium heat.