Enjoy home-cooked goodness in every savory bite!
Makes: 8 to 10 Servings
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: More than 60 Minutes
1 Star Ranch Angus® bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 cup beef broth
3/4 cup apple cider
2 medium butternut squash, cut lengthwise in half, seeded
3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Press 3/4 teaspoon pepper evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings.
- Season roast with 1 teaspoon salt. Add broth and cider; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours or until roast is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile heat oven to 375°F. Brush cut sides of squash halves with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Place squash, cut sides down, on metal baking sheet. Bake in 375°F oven 45 to 55 minutes or until fork-tender. Cool slightly. Scoop squash flesh into large bowl; discard shells or use for serving, if desired. Mash squash with back of spoon or fork until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper, as desired; keep warm.
- Remove roast; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir in cornstarch mixture and maple syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Carve roast into thin slices. Serve with gravy and squash.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Beef Checkoff.
Slowly brown beef on all sides in small amount of oil in heavy pan over medium heat. Pour off drippings. Season beef with herbs or spices, as desired.