With sirloin steak this good, there’s no need to wait until Tuesday for taco night.
Makes: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 24 oz Star Ranch Angus® cubed sirloin
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 tomatillos, husks and stems removed, halved and steamed
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 jalapenos, stems removed and seeded
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In large bowl combine salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Coat sirloin with mixture.
- In large oven-safe braising pan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over high heat; add sirloin and brown all sides. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In same pan, add remaining 4 teaspoons olive oil, tomatillos, poblanos, onion, jalapenos and garlic; char on all sides. Return sirloin to pan; add stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover braising pan; transfer to oven and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove sirloin from braising liquid; set aside. Pour braising liquid and vegetables into large bowl; pulse with an immersion blender for 1 to 2 minutes or until desired consistency has been reached.
- Return sirloin cubes to sauce; sprinkle with thyme leaves. Serve with tortillas. We also recommend: chunky avocado salsa, pickled radish, cilantro onion mix and grilled pineapple.
Slowly brown beef on all sides in small amount of oil in heavy pan over medium heat. Pour off drippings. Season beef with herbs or spices, as desired.