Classic Red Chili
Servings: Variable | Prep Time: 20 min | Cooking Time: 12 – 14 min
Perfect for tailgating or a chilly weekend, Classic Red Chili is worth the wait! Chiles, garlic, onions and stew meat create robust flavor.
Share this recipe:
- Star Ranch Angus boneless beef stew meat (about 5 pounds)
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 Ancho chiles, dry
- 2 Guajillo chiles, dry
- 2 Pasilla chiles, dry
- 2 Spanish onions, halved
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dry
- 2 tomatoes, whole
- 3 tablespoons dark, brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 quarts stock or water
- Toast chilies on stove in warm oil in a medium pot. Then grill or broil onion, garlic, tomato and spices with the same oil until caramelized.
- Puree Step 1 together, and then mix with diced stew meat, salt, black pepper and two quarts of stock or water.
- Set slow cooker for 2 hours on high, stir, and then switch to low for 12 hours, the slow cooker will keep it warm until you need it!
- Top each bowl with desired garnish, we recommend cheddar, avocado, pickled jalapeno, cilantro and red onion.