Heat up your chili night with kickin’ flavor and mouthwatering beef chuck.
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: More than 60 Minutes
- 3 lb Star Ranch Angus® boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces or Star Ranch Angus beef for stew
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) chili-seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped red onion
- Jalapeño slices
- Crispy tortilla strips
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef in batches. Add additional oil, if needed. Remove beef; sprinkle with salt.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pot. Add onion and jalapeño pepper; cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 ¾ to 2 ¼ hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Add black beans; cook until heated through. Serve with toppers, if desired.
Crispy Tortilla Strips
Heat oven to 400°F. Cut 2 to 3 corn tortillas into ¼-inch wide strips. Place strips in single layer on baking sheet. Lightly brush with oil or spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 4 to 8 minutes or until crisp.
Slowly brown beef on all sides in small amount of oil in heavy pan over medium heat. Pour off drippings. Season beef with herbs or spices, as desired.