This is where savory comfort food meets flavor with a kick!
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: More than 60 Minutes
- 1 to 3 lb Star Ranch Angus® boneless chuck roast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- 2 13.5 oz cans pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups fresh salsa
- 1 12 oz bottle of lager beer
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a 12” Dutch oven. Add sliced onions and chopped garlic. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes, or until the onions are slightly translucent. Remove onions from the pan momentarily and wipe out any excess particles.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season the meat with salt and cumin.
- Put 2 more tablespoons of olive oil into the Dutch oven and turn the burner heat to high. When oil is hot but not smoking, add seasoned meat and cook for 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Add chipotle pepper powder and oregano. Add onions back into the pan along with salsa, beans and beer.
- Place cover on pot and place into oven. Cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours, until very tender.
- Serve with hearty slices of cornbread or roasted corn on the cob.
Rubs can be applied just before cooking. For more pronounced flavor, apply rub to beef, then refrigerate for several hours.