Enjoy mouthwatering flavor that’s well worth the wait!
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: More than 60 Minutes
- 1 Star Ranch Angus® beef chuck shoulder pot roast (about 3 lb)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 small onions, halved, sliced
- 4 medium shallots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 325°F. Lightly coat beef with flour. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef. Season with salt and pepper, remove.
- Add water and vinegar to stockpot; cook until browned bits attached to pan are dissolved. Return pot roast. Add onions, shallots and dates; bring to a boil. Cover tightly and cook in 325°F oven 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender. Remove pot roast; keep warm.
- Cook liquid and vegetables over medium-high heat to desired consistency. Serve pot roast with sauce.
Serving suggestions: Mashed sweet potatoes, steamed green beans & cherry tomatoes.
Place roast (directly from refrigerator), fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan (the exception is a rib roast; the ribs form a natural rack).