Beer Braised Ranch Steak With Chipotle Mac and Cheese
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 1 hr 30 min
Pulled beef becomes a topping for baked mac and cheese in this comfort-food update. Chipotle peppers add smoky flavor and heat.
Share this recipe:
- Star Ranch Angus® ranch steak (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12-ounces dark beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped, with adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
Chipotle mac and cheese:
- 1 package (12-16 ounces) macaroni (or other short) pasta. Boiled and drained for suggested time on package.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half1 ¼ pounds shredded white cheddar cheese1-2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil for ramekins/skillets
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Green onions, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Heat a cast-iron skillet with lid over medium-high heat. When the pan begins to smoke, add oil and steak, sear 1 to 2 minutes on all sides to develop a nice crust. Place steak on a plate. Lower heat to medium and add onion, to the skillet, cook until onions begin to brown. Add beer, chipotle pepper and beef stock, dried spices and simmer for 5 minutes. Add steak back to skillet, baste with sauce, cover with lid and place in oven. Cook for 1 ½ hours or until meat can be pulled apart easily. Remove steak to a platter and once it has cooled down tear into inch sized pieces.
Chipotle mac and cheese:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a 3-quart skillet, add 3 tablespoons butter and the flour to the pan and stir with a whisk until it begins to brown. Remove from heat for a minute then add 1 cup of the half-and-half, whisking briskly, continue adding more liquid until it has all has been incorporated and mixture is smooth. Place pan back on heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the chipotle pepper. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Slowly add in the cheese a small amount at a time to allow it to melt smoothly. Continue until all is incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Taste for heat, add more chipotle pepper if more spice is desired.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and divide into pre-oiled 2 cup skillets or ramekins.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a bowl and add breadcrumbs.
- Top mac and cheese with 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and place ramekins in oven. Bake for 25 minutes until brown and bubbly.
- Once mac and cheese has baked 25 minutes, top each dish with 4 to 5 ounces of pulled beef. Cook for another 10 minutes until the meat has heated up.
- Garnish with chopped green onions (optional).