Verde Braised Sirloin Steak Tacos
Servings: 4 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cooking Time: 1 hr 30 min
With sirloin steak this good, there’s no need to wait until Tuesday for taco night.
Share this recipe:
- 24 oz Star Ranch Angus® cubed sirloin
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 tomatillos, husks and stems removed,
halved and steamed
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 jalapenos, stems removed and seeded
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In large bowl combine salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Coat sirloin with mixture.
- In large oven-safe braising pan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over high heat; add sirloin and brown all sides. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In same pan, add remaining 4 teaspoons olive oil, tomatillos, poblanos, onion, jalapenos and garlic; char on all sides. Return sirloin to pan; add stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover braising pan; transfer to oven and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove sirloin from braising liquid; set aside. Pour braising liquid and vegetables into large bowl; pulse with an immersion blender for 1 to 2 minutes or until desired consistency has been reached.
- Return sirloin cubes to sauce; sprinkle with thyme leaves. Serve with tortillas. We also recommend: chunky avocado salsa, pickled radish, cilantro onion mix and grilled pineapple.