Bulgogi-Inspired Top Sirloin Bowl
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 4 hrs | Cooking Time: 15 min
This sirloin bowl has everything – fresh vegetables, coconut rice and a Korean barbecue-style marinade.
Share this recipe:
- 1 ½ inch thick Star Ranch Angus® sirloin steak trimmed of excess fat (about 2 pounds)
- ¾ cup marinade
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons gochujang paste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger cut into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small apple cut into chunks
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Reserved marinade in blender
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups long grain rice rinsed and drained.
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup white wine or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can of coconut milk
- I seedless cucumber thinly sliced into strips or rounds
- 2 red peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 6 spring onions thinly sliced on bias
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into thin strip
- 6 cups mixed lettuce greens
- Place steak in a shallow dish or zip-close bag and cover with marinade. Flip steak to get marinade on all sides. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- 1 hour before cooking, remove steak from refrigerator. Dry thoroughly on paper towels. This will allow the meat to sear in skillet and develop a nice char.
- Brush steak with oil.
- Heat cast-iron or heavy skillet to medium-high heat. Once smoking, add steak and sear all sides for a minute or 2 each. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook and flip until internal temperature is 130°F-140°F depending on your preference. Remove from heat and put on cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree.
- Remove ¾ cup for steak marinade and leave the rest in the container for dressing.
- Add the reserved marinade, oil and vinegar and process until creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Pour into a serving container and refrigerate until serving time.
- Heat oil in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Sauté rice in oil until it begins to toast. Add stock, wine, salt and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cover pot and reduce heat to low. Set timer for 15 minutes. Check rice to make sure liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place 1 cup of salad greens into wide bowls.
- Top each with 2/3 cup of room temperature or chilled coconut rice.
- Divide toppings and arrange in piles around the boarder of bowls and add 4 to 6 ounces of sliced steak in center of each bowl.
- Drizzle with dressing.
Optional garnish items include sesame seeds, toasted almonds, cilantro, lime wedges.