Electric Pressure Cooker Quick Braised Mole Short Ribs
Servings: 4 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cooking Time: 1 hr 25 min
This quick mole recipe is perfect for when you’re short on time, but not short on hunger.
Share this recipe:
- 44 oz Star Ranch Angus® short ribs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 California (dried Anaheim) chiles
- 2 guajillo chiles
- 2 pasilla chiles
- 1 ancho chile
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup salted dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup bolillo (Mexican dinner rolls), cubed
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 4 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 ½ oz Mexican chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Remove stems and seeds from chiles; tear into large evenly sized pieces.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in large sauté pan. Toast chili pods, until blistered; remove from pan with serrated spoon and place in a blender. Lightly brown onions and garlic; remove from pan and place in blender. Individually toast raisins, peanuts, bolillo, and sesame seeds; add each to blender.
- Add stock, chocolate, and 1 ½ teaspoons salt to ingredients in blender. Place lid on blender; process mixture for 2 minutes.
- Strain mixture to remove any large pieces in mole. For optimal flavor, simmer mole over medium-low heat to combine the complex flavors together.
- Rub 1 tablespoon olive oil on short ribs; season with 2 teaspoons each salt and pepper.
- Heat electric pressure cooker to saute mode. Saute several ribs at a time until lightly browned on all sides; remove each batch to a plate. Pour in mole sauce; return all ribs to pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook ribs 1 hour. Turn pressure cooker off; let rest in cooker for 30 minutes. Strain sauce; skim off fat. Serve ribs with mole sauce.