A deliciously cheesy spin on the classic meat and potatoes.
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 60 Minutes
- 1 to 2 lb Star Ranch Angus® top sirloin steak, center-cut
- 6 extra large baking potatoes, 14 oz each
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons ranch seasoning
- 1 ½ cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prepare the potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Thoroughly wash outside of potatoes and pierce them with a fork. Place the potatoes directly on oven rack and bake for 1 hour, until fork inserts easily into center of potatoes.
Prepare the steak:
- While potatoes are baking, rub outside of steak with chopped garlic and salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate while potatoes are baking.
- After potatoes have been in oven for 30 minutes, preheat grill to 425ºF.
Cook the steak:
- Grill steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side with the lid on, being careful to keep it away from hot spots so the garlic does not burn. Place steak on a cutting board and allow to rest until potatoes are done. Cut steak into thin slices.
Stuff the potatoes for serving:
- Allow potatoes to rest for 5 minutes before cutting a lengthwise slit in the top and scooping the insides to a bowl, leaving a sturdy ¼-inch skin intact for stuffing. Toss the potatoes with ranch seasoning and 1 cup of the grated cheese, then spoon back into potato skins. Top with steak slices and remaining cheddar cheese and scallions to serve.
Prepare grill (charcoal or gas) according to manufacturer's directions for medium heat. To check temperature on a charcoal grill, cautiously hold the palm of your hand above the coals at cooking height. Count the number of seconds you can hold your hand in that position before the heat forces you to pull it away, approximately 4 seconds for medium heat.